Sunday, June 21, 2009

Boating Vacation / Staycation

Like many folks this year, we are going (or should I say staying?) on a staycation. While we are moving our base of operations from the family home to a nearby campground our normal "Big Family Trip" has been set aside for something smaller, and more economical. Our intent is to maintain a high level of summer fun, and a lower cost.

Last year my family and I bought a project boat for $900 and we have been working on it ever since. The boat is a 1974 Signa Delta 18. For those of you who are not familiar with it, it is an 18' open bow tri-hull with an 87" beam.

This year, the boat is going to be the focal point of our staycation and a source of much fun. To date, most of the money invested in the boat has been to repair equipment that wasn't functioning (other than a boat that floats and a trailer that rolls, everything else needed or still needs repair).

After my first time out in the boat this year, I realized that I needed some FUN equipment. Here is the list of what we got:


A SeaChoice Tow Harness [SCP 86701]. This is a handy device that attaches to the transom and has a pulley on a float that will be out behind our outboard motor. This eliminates the single attachment point and left turning tendency of the boat while I tow someone on a tube.

Body Glove Signature Crk Prem. Molded [BGW 2506]

I really needed this. I am not a water skiier, but I do enjoy tubing and skimming accross the water. This will be a new experience for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kwik-Tek Water Ski Rope 75Ft W/Handle [KWK AHSR5] We needed this for the new Kneeboard.









Sportsstuff Patriot Double [SPO 531547] The kids (I have 4), wanted something that was two up. Like all sportsstuff tubes, this should be a lot of fun.


We had tried to use Wal-Mart clothline and other inferior ropes without much success. We ended up using CZ (Competition Zone) tow rope.




AFI (Guest/Marinco) O/B Platform Kit 2 Step Ladder [AFI 67904] This was a special request by my wife and daughter who find it both frustrating and probably a bit humiliating to climb into the boat without it.
In the end, we'll probably spend less money that we would normally have spent on a vaction for six people, and we'll still have the equipment that we bought to keep the fun going for many seasons to come!

No comments: